Thursday, July 28, 2011

Rule #117: Watch out for the fireworks!

Evan turned 3 on Tuesday! We had a party to celebrate, where the beginning and end were good, and the middle was...interesting.

Ever since the 4th of July, Evan has been asking to do snaps. Practically every day. So we fulfilled that wish on his birthday. The kids had a great time.


When the snaps were over, I think Evan associated snaps with fireworks, which he was terrified of on the 4th of July. So, he anticipated bad things to come, and freaked out and ran inside. He kept saying, "watch out for the fireworks!"

I tried to explain to him that we weren't doing fireworks tonight, just cake and presents. No amount of talking was going to work, so I carried him back outside screaming. (I know, I'm such a sympathetic mom)

Now, when you look at his cake, you might think that I'm cruel and torturing my child. He really did ask for pictures of fireworks on his cake. Which he also specified needed to be chocolate. The boy is obsessed with fireworks, even though he is afraid of them :)



After we sang Happy Birthday while he hid by the door, it was time for presents. Evan was still not thinking it was a very good idea. So he hid inside his train tent. Apparently he felt safe there. I am glad that he is able to cope with his anxiety and find ways to feel safe, even if he is being forced to stay near the cause of his stress. So, instead of making a big deal out of it, we proceeded with present opening while he was in the tent. No one could see him, so I'd hand him a present inside the tent, he'd open it, give it back to me and I'd show everyone else. Not ideal, but it works


Finally, for the last three presents he was okay with being out in the open. Thank you to everyone for your generosity. Evan will have entertainment for years!We set up most of the gifts he got, and all the kids had a great time playing with the new toys. One of the gifts that Alex and I gave Evan was a rocket launcher. He LOVED it, it was such a hit! Even I think it's a lot of fun.






Thanks again to everyone who came and for the love you show to my son. We are truly blessed to live near so many family and friends.


Happy Birthday Evan!

2 comments:

April Weeks said...

Fun times! Good job Evan's mommy. The cake and cupcakes were darling.

Lawson Family said...

Ahh, so cute! I'm sure there are times we all wish we could hide in a Thomas tent, we just don't have the courage to do it! :0) I'm Evan is surround with support and love.

Happy Birthday, Evan!