Friday, September 16, 2011

Rule #119: Afternoon for the win!

Evan started his first week of preschool on Monday. I'm really excited for Evan, I think it's going to be great for him. It's two days a week, for two and a half hours. We picked an afternoon class for Evan, since he is so much like his father, and mornings are the bane of his existence. So far, things have gone really well.

The Wednesday prior to class starting we had gone and met the teacher, and explored the classroom. It's held in a local elementary school and the class looks like a lot of fun. There are three adults in the class, and 11 kids. I think that's fantastic! Evan really does well with that kind of attention. One general ed teacher, one special ed teacher and one aid.

The first 6 weeks of school Evan will be under observation to see if his anxiety and social issues impede his learning in a classroom setting. This will be based on the special ed teachers observation/opinion. Truth be told, I don't care one way or the other if he qualifies. He will remain in this class regardless of the outcome. But it will be interesting to see what she thinks come the end of October. I think it could go either way.

He was a apprehensive the first day walking to class. In fact, he demanded that I carry him. I brought him to his seat, gave him a kiss and left. When I came back to pick him up the teacher, Ms Jessie, said he did better than she had expected (yea!) There were a few tears, and then he was alright. Quite, subdued and very standoffish. Yep. That sounds about right for my kid. :)

Wednesday was a different story as far as the drop off was concerned. Alex took him that day, and Evan had worked himself into a frenzy by the time they even reached the parking lot. Sobbing and fits were seen, Evan was handed off directly to Ms Jessie.

Despite the beginning, he was able to calm down quickly and while he still didn't really participate in any real way, he explored a little more outside at the playground. He walked near the social circle, didn't join, but came closer than on Monday. I think that's great progress for it only being his second day of school!

I'm so excited for Evan, I think preschool is going to be amazing for him.

I tried to get the "first day of school" picture. Evan was less than cooperative. As usual. But here are my attempts.


He picked out his backpack. Which he won't wear. But he does like to carry it around. His only requirement was that it needed to be blue, so blue it is.



No comments: