Friday, March 2, 2012

Rule #133: Even the smallest word is still a word

Awhile back my baby was 15 months old. Before he reaches ANOTHER milestone, I want to document what he was like then. (I've been in a blogging funk, which will be explained in a later post....hopefully not another month from now) :)

Graham's 15 month old stats:

Height: 31.5 inches (60%)
Weight: 21 lbs 7 oz (15%)
OFC: 19.25 inches (90%)

He's slowly and steadily growing into his head. I am told that it looks smaller than it used to, by those who do not see him everyday. It's hard for me to judge if his head looks more proportional today vs....yesterday. I'm extremely grateful that we have not had any complications with his shunt. I realize that I'm counting my chickens a little here, he's only had it for 9 months, and a lot can happen in...the rest of his life. But, I'm still grateful for the complication-free 9 months we've had. :)

Did you know that Graham is not a baby anymore? He's not. I don't know when it happened, but when I look at him now, I see a little boy. I can't believe that he's already so big, and can do so much for himself. Or, at least he thinks he can do so much. He really wants to be a big boy and use forks and spoons. He does pretty well with forks, spoons on the other hand.... Well, it's a struggle. He resents being fed by me or Alex though, so sometimes we have to sneak a bite in here or there. And in typical toddler fashion he prefers snacks and grazing to actual sit down meals.

Graham loves books, of any variety. Board books, lift the flap books, hymn books, books on dog breeds...anything that has pages to turn. When he reaches the end of a book he instantly flips it around and starts again. Many a morning are spent reading and re-reading his library.

He also LOVES the sink. He loves to stick his hands in the water, splash around. He also loves to hold a toothbrush under the water and then suck on it. It's not uncommon to find random toothbrushes all over the house. Alex and I have a few extras just for this reason.




While at Graham's doctor appointment Alex and I were asked if he was talking. I replied "yes". Alex looked at me like I was crazy. To his credit, he saved the look until the doctor had stepped out, then he looked at me like I was crazy.

Here's the thing, it's true that Graham will not walk up to me and ask for something. BUT, he will repeat words, often times WHILE he is signing the same word, and pointing at a picture. To me, that's totally talking! Alex disagrees. He doesn't think the doctor was asking if he was capable of saying a word, but if he used it without being prompted. (Alex might write an addendum saying that's not what he meant...) Regardless, I think I'm right. Graham is talking.

Here's what he can say:

Hi/Bye
More
Ball
Woof
Meow
Moo
Shh/Sleep (very similar)
Eat
Hot

Here's what he can sign:

More
Drink
Eat
Hot
Dog (while saying woof)
Cat (while saying meow)
Water
Sleep
Ball

See, he's totally talking. :)

Graham is finally sleeping through the night now...only waking on rare occasions. *Cue Evan's sleep problems to be discussed in a later post* He still takes one great nap during the day, which we are all grateful for.

He is a generally happy baby...oops, I mean kid. :) He loves to be around people, always wants to be in the middle of things. He loves his brother, and Evan loves him right back. That's not to say they don't get mad at each other, of course they do. But the last few months their friendship has really blossomed into something wonderful. They play well together (mostly) and seek each other out throughout the day.

I love this little man and can't imagine a single moment without him. He is such an important part of our family!!

Enjoy a few videos of everyday Graham.


1 comment:

April Weeks said...

I distintly heard him say "more" and maybe even thanks. So fun to watch him toddle around.