Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Rule #135: Don't pee on Percy

*warning: This is a potty post. If you don't want to hear about the bodily functions of my child, DO NOT proceed. :)

Evan entered a new stage in his life last week. A diaper free stage! *cue trumpets and confetti*

We have been talking to Evan about using the toilet for a long time. I want to say it's been more than 9 months?!? He showed an interest once, and then not again for about 6 months. We didn't put a lot of pressure on him, he gets anxious enough with change as it is, and I was not about to create a complex about the toilet. So we talked, and talked, and showed him is awesome Thomas the train underwear, and talked. Nothing doin'

A few weeks ago I decided it was enough talking. Told him he was wearing underwear and had to use the toilet. He did okay for his first day. About 50% of the time he listened to his body. The other 50%? He went through his entire supply of underwear that day. :) Fully intending to continue with the progress we had made, we did laundry and prepared for another day.

Silly us for thinking we had any say in the matter. Evan woke up REFUSING to put on underwear. Super anxious about it. So back into a diaper he went.

Two weeks later, cute little Sanders came to stay at our house. Cute little Sanders is already potty trained. We took this opportunity of a small body in control to show Evan how it's done. Put him in underwear, "just like Sanders" and off we went. Evan did amazing! The first few days there were a few accidents, but also plenty of stopping on his own to do his business! Hooray! Sanders was a perfect example and he seemed to be the motivation Evan needed.

It's now been less than two weeks and Evan hasn't had an accident of any kind for three days! It feels so nice to have crossed this thresh hold with him. He is still in a pull up at night...oh, I'm sorry, I mean his "nighttime underwear" Evan refuses to wear "pull-ups." Anyway, his nighttime underwear is still soaking wet in the mornings, and I have a feeling they will be for a while. Once that kid sleeps, he is OUT COLD!

I'm proud of my little man for growing up and taking responsibility for his body. He always tells me when he's "squeezing" (his terminology, not mine) that it makes me so happy. And I am so happy!

Here are a few of the funnier moments of potty training my son.

Earlier this week Evan had an accident. We discussed how that made mommy a little disappointed and talked about listening to our bodies. As I was putting on his new underwear, this time of Percy, Evan looks at me and says very seriously, "I don't want to pee on Percy." It cracked me up. I went to work that night and called to say goodnight to Evan. I asked him if he kept Percy dry, to which he replied "Yes, oh...no. I peed on Percy!!" Funny kid.

A few accident free days later we were outside. I asked Evan if he needed to go to the bathroom, to which he always replies no. Then he said he wanted to squeeze on the tree. I told him to go inside and use the toilet. He kept insisting on squeezing on the tree. Pulls down his pants, holds nothing, leans back and pees. The whole time squealing "I'm squeezing yellow on the tree! The tree is getting yellow!!!" Ahh, the luxuries of being three AND a boy. :)

5 comments:

April Weeks said...

That kid is too much....fun! Well written Meg. That was fun to read.

Lawson Family said...

Such a big accomplishment for all involved...and that's pretty much everyone! "Squeezing yellow," that kid cracks me up!

Mary said...

Hooray for Evan! And good for you for recording the funny moments. Those are the best to look back on. :)

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chrissy said...

That just might be the best potty training story ever! "Squeezing yellow"... I'm going to be laughing all day. :)