Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Rule #140: Angry is the new Awesome


I have been looking forward to Evan's birthday for months. Not because he is getting older, and cuter :) But because he wanted an Angry Birds party!!! I was so excited! (seriously, you would think it was my party....)

I promptly hopped on the Internet to do some research. This was going to be my very first theme party. Evan has never cared or had much of an opinion before, so I could never talk myself into a theme I wasn't even sure he liked. But THIS year, this year it was different. Evan LOVES angry birds, and he's surprisingly good at it. There are a lot of cute crafty ideas out there on the Internet. I picked ones that looked great, but did not require a lot of effort. :)
Evan informed me a few weeks prior to his birthday that he was gong to have "snaps" I was not planning on snaps, so I had to incorporate them into the theme. The snaps became the eggs that the white birds drop and explode! Perfect. Thanks Em for helping my make these quick and easy.
Thanks to Steve and Vanae for helping me make these awesome cupcakes!
Alex was totally on board with an Angry Birds party. He thought the idea of a life sized angry birds course was a great idea. Now that it's done, we both agree that it completed the party, but was a lot more work than expected. It was a lot of work because Alex is a stickler for the details. He hand painted the balls to look like angry birds. Complete with tail feathers and the shadows under their eyes. They looked amazing!!! I am so impressed with my husband. Evan loves them! In addition to the balls he folded, and painted boxes to be the wood, stone and glass bricks from the game. The slingshot itself was probably the easiest part to make. It has withstood a lot of abuse and is still standing!

Evan trying out the slingshot the morning of the party
Alex showing off his skills, and his angry face :)
Thank you to everyone who came out to celebrate my little man's FOURTH birthday! This is the best he has ever done, with so many people and so many expectations! I was thrilled. Dr. Goldsmith had suggested that we try to lessen the pressure when it came time for presents so we didn't have a repeat of last year. You know, with the tent :) So this year we didn't call everyone over. We didn't have a dozen kids hovering in his space trying to see what he got. We would let the gift giver know he was opening their present and that was it. He would open one or two presents, then run off to the slingshot. After a few throws we were able to call him back over, and open a few more presents. It worked really well. He didn't feel the pressure and stress, was still able to have a great time. It feels good to have a birthday where he isn't crying. (He's cried with presents the past three years) Thank you for your generosity and love.

Here are oodles of pictures of everyone enjoying Alex's hard work!



Mom bought me and Angry birds shirt for the party.
Papa deciding he'd rather play dodge ball instead :)
Look at the JOY on Evan's face! Priceless.
My favorite face of all time! Haha!

 Best action shot ever. Look at Tennysons stance, the black ball flying through the air, the pigs and frogs just waiting to come crashing to the ground! Sweet!

6 comments:

Lawson Family said...

So fantastic!! You both did so much work and it paid off! I loved all of the pictures!

Emilie said...

It was a GREAT party!!! Fun for the kids and the adults!! Way to go!!

Oh, and you are welcome for that last picture ;) Although it would have been better had his favorite Angry Bird of Destruction been the red bird (HA!)

Emilie said...

PS. Alex's art work is incredible! Just like the real thing!!

Unknown said...

that is seriously the coolest birthday theme i've ever seen! Love all the details...even if it did take a lot more work.

Mary said...

Well done, you two! It looks like everyone had a blast. :) And hooray for Evan enjoying his whole birthday!

Unknown said...

That is the best party idea ever! And it's so authentic to the game-I love it :)