Saturday, January 3, 2009

Rule #27: It's easier to go up than to go down


Here is my living room. With my beautiful Christmas tree in front of the window. I love having a tree in the front window. Alex and I were discussing where we thought the tree should go this year, and I just wanted it up, and I wanted it up yesterday. So I had told Alex that I was fine with the tree being in the corner by the dining room. My sweet husband knows me better than that. He knew how happy it would make me to see the tree in our front window. So he moved the big plant table to make room, and then arranged the furniture accordingly. And I have loved it! I can see our tree from just about anywhere upstairs. Walking up the stairs into the kitchen and seeing the tree lit in the distance warms my heart in a way that I can't describe. And when I drive past our new home, seeing the tree glimmer through the drapes is an outward expression of the love I feel for my home and those in it. Our front room is pretty sparse as far as furniture is concerned and so I have loved having our Christmas tree up, because it makes the room feel more complete, and our two chairs are directed toward the tree. It is the best part of the room. But now it has to come down, and I'm so sad. The room will feel so empty.

I love the feeling that the holidays bring, but I don't think I've ever felt so strongly the contrast when the season is over. We haven't taken the tree down yet, part of it is lack of time, but I'm also in no hurry to take away such an uplifting sight. Now I'm not saying that I'm not happy unless it's Christmas. All I'm saying is it's easier to get excited for the spirit and feelings of the holidays, and harder to take down the mementos of the season.

1 comment:

April Weeks said...

Hey I think there is a song about that and I think you have sung it more than once, maybe it's your song now... I cry the day that I take the tree down... It is so much easier to put it up than to take it all down.