Thursday, January 22, 2009

Rule # 28:Always get a second opinion

I have a dilemma...I'm not sure if I should try and "wean" Evan from swaddling or not. He does still sleep well swaddled, and he occasionally breaks free, only to promptly poke himself in the eye and wake up before he is ready. (I'd also like to note that when he does poke himself awake....he is very irritated that he is awake and seems to have no understanding that it is his hand stabbing himself in the eye). I feel bad because I think one of the reasons he can't stop poking his eyes is because of his eczema. The steroid cream works wonders, but I can't put it that close to his eyes, so they still suffer unfortunately.

From what I've just said it seems obvious that I should continue swaddling him, to help him sleep and spare his eyes a midnight attack. Here's where my dilemma comes in. I'm concerned that keeping him swaddled may by slowing down his physical progression. I know that every child develops at their own pace, but what if by prohibiting movement at night I'm unintentionally slowing his development?

I intend to call his pediatrician to ask him his opinion, but I just wanted to throw this out there to see what friends, family, and blog-stalkers think. I perused the internet for a while, starting to feel better about my decision to keep swaddling my 6 month old son, because everyone out there said to keep doing it. Until I came across a few posts that said "as long as they are meeting their milestones it should be fine." Well, Evan's not...not really. He doesn't roll over, not from front or back. He has rolled over in the past, but he doesn't do it very often. He talks and makes noises, but doesn't babble the way I'm told 6 month old babies should. Again...I'm not sure if I'm just crazy mom paranoid, or if this is even legitimately related to swaddling...I just don't want to find out that I held him back because I was lazy and didn't want to deal with a few rough nights trying to teach him to sleep without it.

So, to anyone with thoughts, feel free to share your opinion. But do it knowing that I may or may not listen to it. In the end I think I will do what feels best for my family...but I'd like to get as many opinions as possible.

*On a side note, anyone that tells you not to compare your child to other children or lists of milestones must not realize how impossible that is! Of course I'm not comparing in the sense that I think other children are better than Evan, but it's hard not to think...hmm, That baby can do such and such....Evan can't do such and such....or even vice versa. Thinking that Evan can do more than another baby. There's just no way around it, comparing is just part of parenthood I've decided.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hi Megs -
(Aren't I prompt?!) Obviously, I am no expert in the matter either (in fact, probably much less qualified than you). But, from an outsiders perspective I think that you should keep swaddling. Sleep is a precious commodity, and it sounds like both you and Evan will go without if you stop cold turkey. Maybe you could try to slowly "loosen" the swaddle every couple of nights, so he's still contained but is starting to have some movement? I see your concern about rolling over, but I definitely don't think swaddling relates to his verbal skills. I think that as Evan gets bigger and stronger he will start to break free from the swaddle, and break the habit naturally. Let me know what you decide!

Emilie said...

Yes, I know it's nearly impossible to keep yourself from "comparing" but you have to keep it to a noticing rather than a judgment.

All my kids have weaned themselves of swaddling. It just stopped working for them and so we stopped.

Just don't swaddle him when he's not sleeping. That means no more feeding swaddles. That will get him used to controlling his hands when he is doing something comforting.

Also, I think he is just fine that he hasn't rolled from front to back, but if it concerns you, give him more tummy time regardless of his like for it or not.

Babbling: has nothing to do with swaddling. He is just a very observant kid and he will speak when he wants.

I know it's hard not to worry, but he really is doing great!

April Weeks said...

I agree with more tummy time to force him to develop those muscles and skills. He is bundled fairly tight, so maybe loosen it a bit and maybe to save his eyes put some sox on his hands. at least them he couldn't do any damage. He is a bright alert little guy. I am sure he is doing great all around. Welcome to motherhood. the constant quilt and concern if you are doing it right...

Chrissy said...

I can't give you any advice on swaddling because none of my babies would ever stand for being constrained in the least way. Lila is almost 8 weeks and she howls like a banshee if her arms are pinned down. The only thing I wanted to say is there is no mommy paranoia like first-time mommy paranoia and it will slowly ease as you see him growing and thriving. I was convinced that Jacob would be slow to verbal communication because he was quick to roll over and scoot, which turned out to be a baseless concern. I finally (when he was about 5 months) firmly shut the "what to expect" book and threw it away because I was making my self crazy with worry. You are a great mom, and Evan is absolutely adorable. I think you should spend more time worrying about keeping the girls away in a few years...

Jill & Jared said...

I know you already decided to keep swaddling...but I'll put my bit in too! Jacob didn't figure out rolling til seven months and Kadence was similar. Neither of my kids walked until after one years old and I have friends with kids that were walking at ten months. But They are all different...go at their own pace. Keep swaddling!

April Weeks said...

by the way I meant, Motherhood is contantly filled with guilt and concern about whether you are doing it right or not. Not quilty, but guilty. perhaps no one noticed this but my husband.