Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Rule #103: Easter is not a person

I am loving Evan's personality as he gets older. I can tell that holidays are just going to keep getting better and better.

This year we were planning on taking Evan to an Easter Egg Hunt (for fun and for therapy). We stayed out later than usual with friends, he didn't go to sleep as well at their house as usual, and then was talking to himself at 2 am after we had gotten home. Plus we have a 6 month old who still gets up in the middle of the night. So when our alarm went off that morning I looked at Alex, and asked him how much he cared if we went to the egg hunt or not. Being the Parents of the Year, we opted not to wake ourselves, or our children up so that Evan could have a anxiety attack in the cold weather.

Evan slept in till 11, so I feel that we made a good decision. A few hours later he talked about going to Easter's house. (We had mentioned the easter egg hunt the night before) Feeling a slight twinge of guilt (but not enough to have done it differently) we decided to have our own mini hunt in our yard. We quickly filled some eggs with candy we already had in the house, and set them in rather obvious places in the yard :) Evan had a great time. He was a little disappointed when there were no more eggs to find, but got over it quickly when he realized the eggs were filled with candy. He kept calling them Easter's eggs.

He found his small presents in our room a few days ago too.

"Open this? Open this!!"
"We need to wait for Easter to open them"
"Go to Easter's house and open this?!"

I've tried several times to explain to Evan that Easter is not a person, it's a holiday. He clearly isn't grasping that concept yet. :)

Feeling the need/desire to be festive, we tried dying eggs with Evan for the first time too. I think he's a bit young still. He had a hard time waiting for the color to set, or waiting for them to dry, wanting to put them back in the colors....regular two year old behavior I think. Other funny things Evan has been saying that have nothing to do with Easter....

~He tells me almost daily that Jesus is at the door, or that Jesus will ring the doorbell and it's not Lisa (his therapist). Oh, and Jesus says "boo" (I'm really not sure where that one is coming from)
~When it's morning he tells me "windows are on, it's daytime" and how the "windows are off, it's nighttime"
~He would live outside if we would let him, and doesn't enjoy the restrictions his baby brother puts on his playtime. But it has just been too darn cold to take Graham out for any length of time. So throughout the day, he will tell me that "Graham needs to take a nap and Evan will go outside."
~If he wants me to say yes to something he knows I'll say no to (probably because he's already asked half a dozen times, and I've said no!) he pulls up his eyebrows, eyes big and wide, nods his head vigorously and asks his question again, ending in "yeah?" Usually I just end up laughing, but still say no. :)

Like I said, I'm loving his personality. He's such a riot!

2 comments:

April Weeks said...

That egg hunt was good practice for Sunday with a bunch of other kids running around. Hopefully it won't be raining....

Lawson Family said...

What a character! He's has some good lines in there. It's great that they you have them documented!