Thursday, October 20, 2011

Rule #122: You can have your cupcake and eat it too

Graham turned one year old on Monday. My little baby is growing so fast! He is mastering so many skills and his personality gets more distinct every day.


We had a birthday party that evening to celebrate with family. It was quite crowded. Having a fall birthday vs a summer birthday makes a big difference. We'll keep tweaking it over the years, we'll figure out something that works a little better. But, we are grateful that it was crowded with so many people that love our little boy! Thank you all for coming!

I made a Teddy Graham cake and cupcakes. The cupcakes turned out cuter than the cake in my opinion. Graham, I'm sure, knew no difference. But he did love the taste of the cupcakes!

Graham had his doctor's appointment on Wednesday. He is healthy and growing well. He seems to be right on track with his milestones, so the shunt doesn't appear to be affecting his development in any way. We will know more about his shunt next month when he goes for another CT Scan.

Height: 30 1/4 inches (65%)
Weight: 20 lbs 2 oz (15%)
OFC: 19 inches (90%)

I guess I have to stop calling him a fatty...his genes are starting to catch up to him it seems. :) In more exciting news, did you see his head growth? Or lack thereof, really? That's right, my boy just keeps growing into his big noggin, it's starting to look ALMOST proportional. In five months he's gone from off the charts to 90%...I'll take it!
Graham loves people, especially Evan. Well, truthfully, he's still a mama's boy, but Evan's a close second I think. Despite the things Evan does to Graham, he still loves to be around him. The above picture is courtesy of Evan, pushing a foam square over Graham's head. ;)
This is a common occurrence in our house these days. I will walk into a room to find Graham and Evan laughing at each other. Graham laughs because he thinks Evan is hysterical, and Evan laughs...because, well, he thinks Evan is hysterical too. Graham is crazy mobile these days. Walking could be right around the corner. He crawls all the time, this picture is from he early crawling days, when he would get sucked under the furniture. Now that he pulls himself up and cruises around the furniture, he doesn't get stuck nearly as often. :) He has also started to stand unassisted for very short periods of time! He's getting so close! He can climb up and down the stairs, he's even starting to turn himself around to go down safely, he's remembering.

He gives me kisses while he attacks my chipmunk cheeks. It really is adorable. He finally has one tooth!! I still haven't *seen* it, but I have felt it. He won't allow me to see it, his tongue is perpetually hanging out of his mouth and in the way. He wouldn't even let the doctor see it with her tongue depressor. Funny kid. But, at least the tooth is there. More are sure to come.

He claps, waves and says "Hi" That's his only word. He babbles constantly, but that seems to be the only one with meaning so far. Do worry, he's very clear when he wants something, he points and then screams. It's lovely. I can't wait for him to use more words.

Even though he isn't saying words, he mimics tone a lot. Evan was telling us that "dinosaurs say Rrarr" Next thing we knew, Graham was trying to roar, but it was more throaty, so then Evan was trying to copy Graham with this horrible gurgle. My kids crack me up.


Graham is very loving and is happiest when playing with others. He loves books of all kinds and songs! Oh, the songs! He claps and giggles whenever I sing, and it is the quickest way to calm him down. I love this little man, and I feel eternally blessed to be his mother, and to be trusted with his life and spirit.
Happy Birthday little munchkin!

4 comments:

Emilie said...

Ok I'm in love with that last picture and can't stop laughing because of the videos!

Lawson Family said...

Yes, those videos were priceless. It looke like Graham wad more in on the joke than Evan!

My kids keep asking how Graham is doing and say in their prayers they hope he doesn't have to have another surgery. He leaves an impression where he goes!

April Weeks said...

It's so great to have these things documented. Now when your kids say: "what was I like as a baby?" you can let them read this. I won't be able to remember all that until I'm on the other side and get to have complete recall.

Ethnie said...

He's adorable. Thanks for letting us be apart of his birthday!