Friday, October 21, 2011

Rule #123: Parties are known to induce labor

Looking back I realized that I never told Graham's birth story. Alex summarized it after he was born, but I never wrote down the details. You may stop reading if you want, you know how it ends. :) A perfect little boy was born, if you'd like to hear the nitty gritty, by all means, read away.

I was very excited to have an October baby. It meant that I was going to have ALL of the holidays off that year, something that hasn't happened since I was 16. It also meant that my son would have a "cool" birthday. Being born in the 10th month of 2010.

I was hoping he would be born on 10/10/2010. That day passed without so much as a braxton hicks contraction. Next I was hoping he would be born on the 20th. Since everywhere else but America lists the date first, his birthday would be 20/10/2010. Awesome! Naturally he came in the middle. :)

We had our long time high school friends over for a movie night. We joked about me going into labor, at a party...again. It happened with Evan with this same group of friends. Halfway through the movie I start contracting. I didn't say anything to Alex, they might not be real after all. But he notices anyway, mostly because I keep grabbing his leg every few minutes.

The movie ends, and we turn the lights on. One of my friends (who was also pregnant) looks at me, and asks if I'm in labor. They all laugh, thinking she's just kidding around. I say "I think so" Half of the friends jump up and start to leave. A few stay and chat with Alex and I as the contractions grow stronger, eventually they leave around midnight.

Here's what should have happened. I should have left for the hospital then, knowing that I was GBS + and needed at least four hours to be given two doses of antibiotics.

What really happened? I debated at home for at least an hour whether or not I should call my mom, if I was progressed far enough to go to the hospital. (Which in hind sight, it wouldn't have mattered, they would have admitted me for the GBS anyway) Finally after getting ready for bed, and lying down, I doubled over. Holy Moly! Out of nowhere the pain tripled. Alex called my mom and we got ready to go to the hospital.

Mom came to stay with Evan while we made another late night trip to have a baby. Alex and I mused over what it would be like to have a baby during the daylight hours. We drove to the hospital at 1 am two years prior as well. We arrived at the hospital around 2 am.

As soon as we enter the Labor and Delivery unit I start telling them that I am GBS + and need to start my antibiotics now. They smile, try to reassure me, they need to check me first, yada yada yada. They bring my into a delivery room, I ask for one nurse to be starting an IV while another checks me. They wont. Then comes the *gasp* "You're already 5 cm dilated! we need to get these antibiotics started!" (no kidding, I think in my head)

An IV is placed, antibiotics up and running, and then I ask for my epidural. I asked so quickly for two reasons. one-I like my drugs, I feel no need/desire to feel more pain than necessary. two-epidurals can slow down labor, and I'm feeling very anxious to make sure I get that second dose of antibiotic.

While I'm still glad I got an epidural, it was not as perfect this time around. My blood pressure dropped, and I had to wear an oxygen mask for a while. Still totally worth it in my mind, just not *perfect* like it was for Evan. I could still move my legs like last time, and once Graham was born the effects wore off nearly instantly. That part I love.

I tried to sleep as I had done during Evan's labor but was unsuccessful. I was so uncomfortable, and in order to get a good tracing of the baby, I needed to be in the only position I didn't want to be. I felt pressure around 4:30, told the nurse. She didn't check me, I still hadn't had my second dose, and if I could hold off it would be better. The pressure kept me awake for the next hour and a half. Around 6 they started my antibiotic early, knowing I was never going to last.

With the green light to finally start pushing, they removed my foley catheter and the pressure was full force. I'm fairly certain the only reason I was able to keep my baby in was because I had a plastic tube in the way ;) They saw some meconium in my fluid, so the called the NICU team to be present for the delivery. This stressed me out. Alex gently reminded me that this was why we chose the hospital we did. So that if something were to happen, skilled people would be present to handle it. In literally two pushes Graham Douglas Davis was born. At 6:48 am. I was whispering for him not to breath yet until they could suction him out, and of course he screamed and cried. They took my baby over to their table, sucked out his mouth and nose, looked him over and handed him into my arms. It was lovely, and he was perfect.

I wasn't nearly as tired with Graham's delivery. I only pushed twice vs the hour and a half it took to get Evan into the world. I was on the high of being a mother, yet again. I was shocked to see that Graham looked so different than my other son. I had assumed that they would look similar, or at least like brothers. But he was so different, and yet...I knew that's exactly what he was supposed to look like. I saw him, and rationally thought "he doesn't look like I expected" and emotionally felt "there you are, just like I knew you would be" It was remarkable.

I wanted to be discharged that evening I felt so good. But because of that silly GBS, Graham needed to be monitored for 36 hours. Luckily, he was fine and we were able to go home the following night. It felt so good to be home, and to be with Evan again as well. Our family of four felt perfect to me. It still does.

2 comments:

Lawson Family said...

I just can't get enough of birth stories. Each is as amazing and so different as the next. Love it!

Eliza said...

I LOVE birth stories as well! Thank you for sharing something so personal. And happy {belated} birthday Graham!!