Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Rule # 159: Roar first, ask questions later

My First Born has been on this earth for five years. FIVE years! Crazy. Even before we celebrated his fourth birthday, he has told me what kind of party he wanted for his fifth birthday. A dinosaur party. This is comical to me because he used to be absolutely terrified of dinosaurs. But the fear has become an obsession. Well, not an obsession, but he really likes dinosaurs now.

He was very specific with his requests this year. He wanted dinosaur cupcakes and a volcano cake. I'm quite proud of my cupcakes, I think they turned out really cute. The volcano? Well, I was just hoping people could tell it was a volcano. :)
The egg nests were my favorite
 

We had dinosaur sticker books for the kids.

We also buried some dinosaur bones for the kids to dig out. A mini archaeological site if you will.
We got the bones from the DI and I think Beckham was disappointed when he found out all the bones would form a complete skeleton. It would have been close, but some of the bones we missing. Sorry Beckham. :)

In years past, present opening has not gone well for Evan. One - too young, still not really engaging in anything. Two - Cried the ENTIRE time as I ripped open present after present and threw them to the side. Three - Evan hid in the tent and opened presents in privacy. Four - Did fairly well, but we kind of opened presents on the sly. Didn't gather all of the children to watch.

This year I am happy to say, Evan did awesome! We didn't have any activity that was occupying the other kids, so they gathered like a regular birthday party. And Evan was cool with it. He didn't seem fazed by the attention at all! I was really happy for him!

Thank you everyone for making my son feel so loved! We have great family and friends!
More highlights from the party, picture overload style!
Dinosaurs getting ready for cupcakes ;)
 
Alex drew dinosaur footprints going up our driveway
Happy Birthday Boy!
  
I love this picture of Evan blowing out his candles 
 
Rory at 5 weeks old.

At Evan's five year check up
weight: 35 lbs 6 oz - 10%
height: 44.5 inches - 79%

Evan loves being a big brother. He absolutely adores Aurora and talks about her non stop. He wants to teach her everything he knows. He is always asking to have Rory watch him ride his bike, or play a game. It's cute to watch. She reciprocates by cooing to him the most. :)

As always, Evan is super smart. He is learning to read, and he's getting really good at it. He can probably read more than he lets on. He's a bit of a perfectionist, and doesn't like to say it out loud unless it's right.

Thanks to Beth, his ABA therapist, he can now ride his bike and pump himself on the swings. He can get dressed by himself, except for buttons and socks. But it's a big improvement from a few months ago. It's amazing how nice it is not having to dress all three children! There is a lot of coaching and reminding to get dressed, but at least we aren't physically dressing him anymore.

He is learning to write. He's also learning to write words phonetically. It's pretty adorable to see what he come up with. He brought Toothless the dragon (a stuffed animal) to school one day. His paper came back with "Evan Tuthlis" written on it. Apparently Evan AND Toothless did his assignment that day. :)

I love my little man. He'll always be my baby because he was my first baby.

Happy Birthday Evan!

1 comment:

April Weeks said...

I am so glad you post and record your life. It's wonderful and beautiful to see and remember and feel all the goings on of you and your very delightfully special family.