Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Rule #160: White goes with everything

When Aurora was six weeks old Alex gave her a name and a blessing. It was beautiful. It always is. Alex has a way with words, and the spirit was strong.

Rory was calm and quite, like she always is :) She really is the perfect baby. There is something about being around her that calms your soul. I can already tell she is very special. I can't wait to see how she changes the world! (Or at the very least, her little world around her)

When I found out I was having a daughter, I asked my mom to crochet a blessing dress. My mom is amazing. I sent her pictures of different dresses I liked. "I like the top of this dress, but I want these sleeves. I want the skirt to look like this..." You get the picture. I was a little high maintenance. :) My mom had the dress completed in two weeks! It would have been done sooner, but she redid the skirt a few times trying to get it to lay perfectly. I'll say it again. My mom is amazing! She made this GORGEOUS dress, with no pattern, just pictures, in less than two weeks!

I am so grateful. It is such a beautiful dress and now it will be a beautiful heirloom. Thank you Mom!

My mom was so excited about this dress that she couldn't wait for Aurora to be born to finish it. We had talked about not putting the embellishment on until after she was born, so we could make sure the dress would fit her. (It was a bit on the small side) But mom couldn't help herself. She just kept making the dress prettier and more complete. She altered a 3 year old slip and sewed it into the dress. She made the little booties and the headband.

It was beautiful, but I was afraid my yet to be born baby wouldn't fit! Luckily, I make small babies. :) I blessed Rory earlier than any of my other children. I found out my mom wouldn't be in town the first week of September. I couldn't very well bless Aurora without my mom. She made this dress, for this day! So we blessed her in August. And the dress fit perfectly!

We had lunch at our house after the blessing. I didn't take nearly as many pictures as I wanted to. I didn't get any pictures of Rory with my dad and Emma. They were in the thick of Summerfest and couldn't stay long. We feel blessed to have such large families that come out and support us on these special occasions.

 Mom and Dave
 Our best attempt at getting a family picture. Don't mind that I look tired, I was. :)
 I think this photo is beautiful

Great Grandma Mary (I had taken Rory out of her dress. As pretty as it was, I was afraid it was getting a bit hot).

1 comment:

Danica said...

That dress is gorgeous! Your mom truly is amazing. Sure a beautiful dress for a gorgeous baby.