Friday, October 31, 2008

Rule #4: Rocks should be free.

I'm putting in a rock "garden" all along the north and east sides of the house. Consequently, I need alot of rocks. Originally I planned on just stealing them from the mountains, I mean, money doesn't grow on trees but rocks do, and not just on trees, rocks grow pretty much everywhere.

So anyway, rocks were 15$ per 3 gallon bucket at J&L, alot more than free. (But then everything at J&L is alot more than free...) Later I found some bags at Home Depot that were much more reasonable at 3$ per large bag of golf ball sized river rocks, but then I saw them...

On the end of the isle was a mysterious pile of larger river rocks, baseball to grapefruit size, just what I was looking for. They were on a decaying pallet wrapped in a sort of chicken wire. No signs, buckets, bags or anything else near the pile to indicate how much they were or how they were even sold. And since winter is setting on, the garden section was associate-free.

I asked someone back in the store and they sent two self proclaimed 'hired muscle' associates to help me. Neither had any idea how much the rocks cost, though one thought he vaguely recalled them being sold individually for around 1.50$ a piece! I thought he was joking, that would've been around 500$ for the pile, or so. So they got on their talkers and no one in garden was in the store at the time, and the guy covering garden had no idea, but the manager had some interesting knews. She said they were looking for someone who wanted the whole pallet, and they'd sell it to me for just 20$. Perfect.

I had borrowed my dad's pilot and they fork lifted the rocks up to the back of it. And when I thought they were going to load the pallet into the back, they started placing each rock in the back one at a time by hand. Twenty minutes later there was a pile of rocks in the back. And that's pretty much the whole story, I paid money for a pile of rocks.

4 comments:

Lawson Family said...

Funny how having a home changes what purchases you get excited about! That was an awesome find!

AmyPoll said...

$20...it would cost more than that in gas to drive up in the mountains and find that many rocks!!! Congrats on your find...can't wait to see your new house.

April Weeks said...

Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

Ethnie said...

If you need anymore rocks . . . we grow them in our neck of the woods. Let us know.

Eth