Thursday, February 26, 2009

Rule #33: Good food is worth the wait

Alex and I have been trying to go the Texas Roadhouse for months now, ever since it opened in Bountiful. Neither of us had ever eaten there, but we had heard nothing but fabulous reviews. Every time we tried to go, the wait was too long and we had a play or some other function to attend, so we weren't able to wait.

We made big plans to go this year for valentines day. I know what you're thinking, it the wait was long on a regular night, why did we choose a holiday? Yeah, we were thinking very clearly. We intended to call ahead, around 6:20, and then eat probably around 7:30, maybe 8. That seemed reasonable at the time. Well, we called...and the wait was three hours!!!

We didn't know what to do. My mom had already graciously accepted to watch Evan, but it was going to be from 9:30 till...late. Which wouldn't have been a problem, he would have just slept for my mom expect that she had no where to put him! Because of the remodeling of their kitchen, they didn't have any place to put Evan to sleep. I was devastated! I had been looking forward to this for months! If any of you have experienced me with really good food you'd understand how devastated I was. Not only was it good food that was being taken away, it was HIGHLY anticipated good food.

Alex being the loving/understanding husband that he is, knew that any other restaurant just wouldn't be good enough for me, so he called his brother for a favor. We've been slowly easing Jeff into the babysitting routine. The first time it was only for 30 minutes, and Evan slept. This time is was going to be over an hour, but again...Evan would be sleeping. Because Jeff loves us, he agreed to come over. And I am SO glad that he did!

The food was fantastic, and even though it was late, there were still hoards of people there. (That could have been because of the holiday...but maybe not, it seems to be a very popular place.) Their rolls come out of the oven every five minutes and they come with this cinnamon honey butter....mmm. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water! We didn't try their steak that night, but had their ribs and pulled pork. Delicious! It is rivalling Outback to be my favorite restaurant! That is saying a lot! We have to try the steak to make a definitive decision, but it's not looking good for Outback. (I feel a little betrayal just saying that).

It turned out to be a very nice Valentines day, thanks to everyone who helped with Evan, during the day and at night!

4 comments:

Emilie said...

Not really so much a rule as it is a picture....

Megs said...

Alex posted the picture before I had time to write the story.....

Tiffany said...

I'm so glad you made it out for your Valentine's date! And to Texas Roadhouse, no less. We love it!! Not only is the food good and plentiful, it's easier on the budget too. What's not to love?! Sorry Outback ...

Brianna said...

We LOVE Texas Roadhouse! Call us... we'll go anytime!