Monday, April 20, 2009

Rule #39: Love your neighbor.

So I went out to mow the lawn for the first time this year, it was getting pretty scraggly and out of control. This is an after the fact shot in case you're wondering and thinking that it doesn't look out of control to you. In retrospect I can't figure out why I didn't think to take a before shot, I mean, I was going to mow the lawn for the FIRST time of the season, thats freaking exciting and everybody cares.

So anyway, I was wandering around clearing debri's such as sticks and stray garbage that had blown in. And then as I get to the southwest corner of our yard (far right in the picture) I notice a cigarette butt. Ok thats odd, so I go to pick it up, and notice another, and another and another... I counted 75 in all afterwards, plus a match book.

They were perfectly distributed in a semi-circle right next to back porch of the 3rd section of the triplex across the fence, leaving no question as to their source.

So here's my question, since obviously I love this neighbor, and smokers especially hold a place in my heart, as about 95% of the wonderful people I shared the gospel with on my mission smoked. How do I turn the other cheek? Is that indeed the appropriate scripture reference? Pick them up for them and say nothing, politely ask them to stop? Take them a plate of cookies?

4 comments:

Emilie said...

Take them cookies. Then let them know you have a little one who will soon be exploring the yard and could they please find another location for throwing their butts.

Sarah said...

Or you could just toss them back over into their yard...maybe they'll get the hint.

Lawson Family said...

I was totally thinking like Sarah! =) Maybe once they see a huge pile of butts, they'll get the picture...or get mad!

Brianna said...

I too would probably make an organized pile in their yard. It may not be the nicest, but by far the least confrontational, but still affective.