Friday, June 19, 2009

Rule #47:Monkey language is hard to decipher

My mom and I took advantage of the rain free weather on Tuesday with a trip to the zoo. Evan seemed to at least see some of the larger animals this time. He seemed to really enjoy the bird show. (Even though some doves almost flew into his face!) Thanks mom, we had a great time spending the day with you!

This is my third or fourth time at the zoo this year- getting good use of our Christmas present- and each time something is a little different. Usually neither good or bad changes, just slightly different from the previous visit. One time the bears were quite playful, another time our favorite tiki monkeys mysteriously vanished (that was a little sad--cutest monkeys ever!) But most of the zoo is the same time after time. (again, not bad same...just consistent). That being said, I don't think I'll ever get a chance to see this again.

There was a black and white colobus monkey making the strangest noises I've ever heard. I'm not sure what he was trying to say, it sounded sad. My mom said it sounded like he was mourning. I tried to look it up later this week before I blogged about it. (I wanted to look smart) but I couldn't ever find any other sounds like this.


There was a pubescent boy hanging on the fence goading the monkey, repeating the calls and laughing. I'm not sure if he contributed the what the monkey was doing or not...but you can hear the boy once in the video. *I know the video isn't the best, I wasn't very steady...I got bumped a few times by fellow gawkers*

You could hear the sound from almost anywhere in the zoo. It went on for a long time. I hope the monkey wasn't really mourning. It bothers me that I'll never know what he was thinking. So if any of you out there are monkey experts please enlighten me. Or if you just want to take a stab at guessing, I'm game for that too.

5 comments:

Brianna said...

Meghan, I have no idea what the monkey was saying, but I think you are incredibly sweet to wonder.

Honestly, it wouldn't even have crossed my mind.

April Weeks said...

I still think that little monkey was terribly upset...about... something. I had a great time too!

Steve said...

Such behavior was more common in Biblical times. Several evil spirits would possess the body at once, each arguing for the others to depart. Either that, or it was just freaking tired of living next to the churro cart.

Tiffany said...

Meghan
That is soo sad. Thanks for sharing, I think? =) The monkeys are always the highlight of the zoo for me!

Mary said...

Hi Meghan!
I don't know what the monkey wanted to say, but I just wanted to say hi, how are you, and your baby is super cute! But you already knew that last part...