Monday, May 23, 2011

Rule #114: Chick's dig scars

Today was the day we got to take the dressings off Graham.

From a nursing point of view, his incisions look really good, no redness, no signs of infection. Nice and straight, they should heal nicely.

From a parents point of view, I kind of liked the dressings better :) Don't get me wrong, his shunt is still not anywhere near the size I thought it was going to be, but now with the dressings gone, it's quite easy to see. Once he has hair and has grown a little more, I'm sure I'll hardly notice it at all. And appearances really don't matter when it's something important...like your brain development. But, it's the first time I've seen his full shunt, and I feel entitled to react a little. :)

Here's Graham sporting his new soon-to-be scars.

On a non-appearance related note. He is doing great! He stopped taking any medication the second day we were home...absolutely refused in fact. He seems to be completely comfortable again. He's still not quite eating as much as before surgery, it is kind of hit or miss. I think he's getting enough, and he seems to be getting a little better everyday. It could also be affected by the fact that he's decided it's worth while to eat solid baby foods! It just took us two whole months to convince him. He's still not eating as much solid food as is recommended, but we are working on it. It's no longer my least favorite part of the day. ;)

I am amazed at how well he has recovered, and how he seems to have no idea that anything happened to him. My little ball of happiness continues to be just that. Happy.

6 comments:

Lawson Family said...

Ah, I couldn't wish for anything more than that for him and for your family. So great to hear!

He's going to have a killer "2 truths and a Lie" statment now!

Tiffany said...

Such a nice report. Thanks Meg. Can't wait to have you back at work though . . .

Mary said...

Wonderful! And yes, you are totally entitled to react. Especially since you're keeping it so real.

Brianna said...

You're right... chicks do dig scares! I am so happy he is still SO happy... yea!!

Matt said...

What a beautiful little guy. I am glad he is doing well!

Eliza said...

Hearing that your little ball of happiness continues to be just that--happy makes me happy too. I'm so glad to hear that he's doing so well. He is one tough little dude!