Friday, May 6, 2011

Rule#108: Deja vu is overrated

Graham got to experience deja vu today as he prepared for his MRI for the second time this week. Poor kid. A few things in life are worth repeating, but fasting as a six month old is not one of them.


He actually did fairly well. We discovered that Graham will NOT touch pedialyte. Not even if he's starving. Good thing he's old enough now that he could have apple juice diluted with water to count for his clear liquids. He was even able to take a nap during his fasting period. He's such a good kid.


We got to the hospital, and I was worried that the same callous nurse that sent us home tuesday would be there again today. It would have been very awkward for me, I was kind of dramatic last time. (not on purpose, I was just devastated beyond my control) Thankfully, she wasn't there. The nice receptionist remembered us, and apologised again for tuesday. And the rest of the staff was wonderful.


They took Graham to get checked out by the NNP and chart his vitals. He smiled and played the whole time. Was very interested it all the new toys :)

He thought the oxygen tubing was awesome! I just loved seeing how focused his hand-eye coordination has gotten.

Despite being hungry, he waited as patiently as I could have hoped for. Better than I had hoped for really. If it seems strange that I'm smiling prior to my sons MRI, it shouldn't. Not if you know me. Information is power, and I was about to gain some more power over my son's fate. I was anxious, but excited.


Graham didn't even cry when they placed his IV. He whined a little, but whined and fussed the most while they were tapping his IV in place. The nurses said he was by far the best patient of the day! That's my little ball of happiness!


What in the world is this THING on my hands?!


The medication that they gave Graham to sedate him works incredibly fast! I was holding him in my arms, and I swear, ten seconds latter he's passed out, slumped back, breathing deeply. That is some powerful stuff!


They whisked him away and set him up in the MRI machine. They wouldn't allow me to stay and watch, which I was bummed about. But there was another MRI going on and they had to protect patient confidentiality. blah blah blah. Oh well. I'll get over it.



The MRI lasted about 30 minutes. Alex and I got some dinner while we waited, I was preparing to work my shift later that night and knew that was the only chance I was going to get to eat.

The recovery went very well also. What else would you expect from my little rock star? I mean really, he's just amazing. He slept for a little over an hour, and then the nurses woke him up. They found out I was working that night, and wanted to try and have him wake up before I had to leave.


He was a tad bit cranky, which is a common side effect of the medication. But he drank more apple juice and then finally actual formula! I think he was pretty excited about it, but he couldn't show it because he was still a little drugged. By the time I had to go to work, he was able to go home as well. It was perfect timing. I am so grateful to have this MRI over with. They wouldn't tell me what the MRI showed, because they aren't trained to read them/they aren't supposed to. But I was able to coax a little bit of information out of the nurse.


I asked if it was as big as they thought, to which she looked at me, paused and replied "it's...significant in size." She also thinks he may have an ear infection. Which surprised me. Graham hasn't seemed uncomfortable or irritable at all. But then again, he's a ball of happiness. I'm not sure if balls of happiness are capable of those emotions. :)


While I do wish I knew exactly what the MRI showed, I'm okay to wait. We have an appointment with Neurosurgery on Monday, and we will get some answers then. I'll actually get to talk to SOMEONE who will know what we can do for my son. I'm excited to have a plan, even though that plan with involve brain surgery on my baby. At least the cyst will be taken care of, and I will be able to breath again.

4 comments:

April Weeks said...

It made me teary to see him so drowsy and with that bandage tape on his hand. What a precious little soul he is. I ache that this will be over soon and he won't have too suffer much.(or you either)

Christina said...

What a trooper! I'm glad he handled it so well! You guys are have been in our thoughts and prayers throughout this whole thing. Lilly even prays that Baby Graham will "get better" :)

Please let us know if you need anything!

Emilie said...

I am laughing so hard over that picture with the bandage on his hand!

"Um....guys?.....Do YOU know what the heck this thing is? It kind of just showed up. Anyone know where my hand is? I just figured out how to use those things!"

I am so glad he did as well as he did. And you too! Only three more days until you have a plan.

Please call if you need anything.

Steve said...

Mmm, I'm anxious to hear the news on Monday. The cute, little cracker will be in my prayers!! :)