Saturday, November 1, 2008

Rule # 7: Never take clear skin for granted.


Most of you have seen my son's skin. It's red and inflamed, a little bit scaly. It's never been the "soft as a baby's bottom" skin that I was expecting. I had tried several things to clear it up, new laundry detergent, different soaps and lotions, and none of it was working. A call to the pediatrician was made, a suggestion was made, and two weeks later Evan's skin was no better.

So Alex took him in to see the pediatrician, who said that "it's not the worst case of eczema I've seen, but it's right up there." He didn't really need to inspect Evan, he could tell from across the room. (Poor kid) So he recommended a Rx cream and changing to soy based formula. (yuck) Normally he doesn't like to do two things at once, but he wanted to get the eczema under control first, and worry about what caused it later. And even though I don't think it's a milk allergy, I am willing to give it a try.

It's been two days that we've been putting the cream on Evan's skin, and just look at his face! It's still not "baby soft" but at least it's not red and scaly!! It looks wonderful! I'm hoping that once his skin is under control, I won't be using the Rx very often, just for breakouts, but I am grateful that there is something that works.

And in case you were wondering, it's been one day on soy formula, and it stinks...and makes my baby's breath smell funny. *sigh* I agreed to try it and I will, I just hope we can get through this quickly.

5 comments:

Brianna said...

There is nothing better then when you find a solution to a problem ecspecialy when your baby is involved... his skin looks beautiful!

April Weeks said...

Wow, what a difference. I bet he feels so much better too.

Jill & Jared said...

Look at that precious face. I am really missing you guys! I was supposed to move to Bountiful! Sigh...

Chrissy said...

Meghan- I just found your blog and from the many posts I thought, "how could I have not know she was blogging for so long?" then I noticed I am only a week or so out of date. Your baby is beautiful! Hard to believe how quickly three months can pass, huh?

AmyPoll said...

You may want to ask the doctor about the lactose free formula. That is what we had to use with both Austin and Jules...usually the allergy is to the lactose, not milk entirely...and it doesn't smell as bad as soy. His skin looks great!!!