Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Rule # 10: Halloween isn't just for kids

Alex and I went to a Murder Mystery last weekend. It was themed in the 1920's. I went as a flapper and Alex was a poker player. Big thanks goes out to my mom for helping me find a costume at the last minute. She's amazing, she really is. I would have walked right past the dress, which was perfect, (and modest...which...really, how often do you come across a modest flapper dress?) Then she helped me with the accessories, making the headband for me and everything. It makes me wonder if I'll ever be as resourceful and crafty as my mother. She really has a knack for it.

I had researched on the internet how to do my makeup and hair to look authentic 1920's. I really just have too long of hair for their styles, but the makeup I could handle. It's really dark smokey eyes and seriously red lips. So I went all out with the makeup, and it was fun, in my own home with just Alex as a witness.

But then we had to go, and I had to leave the comfort of my own home...and the lack of an audience. It hadn't occurred to me how shy and uncomfortable I would feel dressed up like this with people around. Now I know why I don't do theater. It took all of my power to walk through the front door of the party....and even more to walk up the stairs to where people were. I literally hid in a corner at the bottom of the stairs for a moment or two, trying to talk myself into moving.

Once everyone had reacted to my costume, and the attention was turned elsewhere, I was okay. But a while later, the rest of the group came, and my hyper-awareness returned full force. And once again, once the reactions where over, I was able to forget how I looked and enjoyed myself. I was a fun night. You can't see how dark my makeup really was in these pictures, but trust me, it was extreme!
Thanks again for your help mom, everyone loved the get up, the stockings were a big hit too! (You can't see them in the picture, but they were a modern version of fishnets).



4 comments:

April Weeks said...

You look darling! I'm glad you had a good time after you over came your unexpected shyness. It was fun for me to get to help you too!

Elizabeth said...

I have to say you do look gorgeous. I also think that Alex looks really good with facial hair.

AmyPoll said...

You look great and I would have to say that you have VERY BIG shoes(well hers are rather tiny, but anyways) to fill to be as crafty and thrifty as your mom...she amazes me everyday!!!

Jill & Jared said...

I love murder mysteries! And you definitely did a good job with the costume. I rarely get very into it. I am just like you in dressing up, very conscious until you relax and forget your are all dressed up.