Friday, December 19, 2008

Rule #21: Watch the road, not the lights

On Wednesday this week my family and I met up with one of my very best friends and her husband and son. We were randomly put together in a dorm apartment in college our first year. I don't know how I would have gotten through that year without her! The next year we moved into a house together and have remained friends since. Her son was born just a few months after Evan. I'm excited to force friendship upon them, since Eth and I intend to be friends for quite some time. :)


Anyway, we met them in Salt Lake to see the lights on temple square. Man it was chilly! Evan bundled up, I was okay...but I was a little worried about Evan's face. I knew the rest of him was warm...but they need to make little baby ski masks to cover their faces for such outings.

As nice as it was to see my old friend, the lights just aren't the same anymore. It could be because I'm older, and nothing is as magical when you are older...but I don't think that's it. I'm pretty sure it's because they have stopped decorating the big trees. Ethnie had heard a rumor that they stopped decorating the big trees because people on the streets got distracted and weren't watching the road. Whether that's true or not...I think it's silly, and very disappointing. The lights were pretty, but...it felt lacking this year. And even though there aren't as many ooh's and ahh's I still intend to make it a tradition for my family. My children have never seen the big trees all dressed in lights, so for them...all of it will be wonderful.

Despite the minor disappointment, I had a wonderful time with my friend. We went to their new apartment in Salt Lake and had hot chocolate. Here are a few pictures from our night.

This is Will, he pretty much slept through the whole thing...but you can't really ask for much more from a three month old baby...he's cute isn't he?


Here's Evan and I next to a semi big tree. Once Evan got close to the lights he cared to look at them. Other than that he wasn't that interested.


Here's the whole group..Eth and Will, Hunter, Evan, Alex, and Me

2 comments:

April Weeks said...

It's true Meghan, about the magic.. but it comes back ten fold when you see it through your children's eyes...and then your grandchildren's, and come to think about it, it comes again as you watch your grown children delight in their children delighting in the magic of Christmas and life in generally. Did this make any sense?

Steve said...

Haha! Evan looks so cute all bundled with only his eyes gazing out. :)